Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Thing 5

BLOG

What is your experience with public libraries and librarians? Long-time user? Scared away by a mean librarian in your youth?
As a child I loved going to the libary. I remember getting my libary card and then we would go every week during the summer. When I first started my career I would check materials out to use at school and then forget to return them until they were very overdue. Because of this I have had fees to pay and have opted for buying the materials instead so I have them to use.

What would you improve about your library and its services?
Our libary is great! I really enjoying going to our libary and it always seems to have the resources I'm looking for. One thing that would be nice to see more of it educational programs beign brought into our libary. We have a small libary so there isn't as much of that going on. I know at larger libaries like the Minneapolis libaries that have a lot of educational programs going on. I've taught technology classes at Minneapolis libaries with a partnership the Science Musuem of Minnesota has with them.

How do you use the public library to support your teaching?
They have great resources for me to use when developing my lesson plans. I have checked out magazines with current events in science that I want my students to read. I have also collected books on a topic for students to use during their research.

How will using MnLINK help your students? Is timing an issue?
I would like to find the time to show them how to use this because I could then give them assignments where they have to collect their own resources. This would be a great skill for our High School students to have because when they are in college they will just be expected to find the resources they need.

Have you used MnLINK in the past? What was your experience?
This was my first experience in using MnLINK. It was very useful for me because I usually drive farther to a larger library where they have more resources. Now I could look for what I wanted at work or home and then go to the closest libary to pick it up. It is definitly something that I will use more in the future.

No comments: